Saturday, April 7, 2007

Good Friday

It was another glorious Northwest day. This is the view from my new front porch:


Crazy, huh?! My cat keeps waking me up at 5 a.m. to go outside and prowl around, but i can't even complain because the sunrises have been so beautiful. Reds, pinks, blues, all lifting off of a fog-covered sleepy Puget Sound.


This is what mini-marts look like out here. Fresh crab and smoked salmon, yum..


I found a new studio space! It's a weird one, but I'm into it. Once upon a time, there was a giant pawn shop in downtown Olympia. You could get guns, nunchucks, raingear, cds and fishing poles. I remember buying a little knife there when I was a teenager, a gift for my friend Karla-- it looked like a tube of lipstick. Pretty tough.


These days it's a one-stop shopping center for art/music/fashion punks. There's Dumpster Values, the vintage clothing store, Phantom City Records, the music emporium, and Community Print, an unbelievable co-op letterpress studio. There's also some sort of renegade bike-cooperative-garage. This is the view from up in my 'studio', which I guess used to be the office where the Pawn brokers crunched numbers and rolled around on piles of cash, and cast a wary eye down upon their minions. This is what it looks like now:


My studio is also dangerously close to The Best Pizza In The World, a.k.a. the Oldschool Pizzeria. Many years ago, long before our paramour status, Justin and I both worked there.. he prepped the garlic, I worked the register. We never really talked.


Back in Kamilche, we stopped behind this pickup truck. If you look closely, you can see the awesome bumper sticker:


Classic Shelton style!