Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Makin' Copies

Remember the stupid SNL skit from the 80's/90's where that guy would go 'Makin' copies.. copyrama.. Ran-dyyy! The Rand-man! Alright! The Rand Old Opry, makin' copies..' etc.? Sometimes I feel like that guy. When I'm hanging tough at Kinko's, making flyers for shows:


Ever since I was a teenager I've been skulking around copy shops. I'm just a little bit old enough to remember the times before Photoshop/Illustrator, when zines and stickers and other youth propaganda was made by hand in the middle of the night at some strip mall Kinko's. Reading copies of Cometbus and staying up all hours jacked-up on unlimited refill sodas from Taco Bell, making awesomely terrible collages of 90210 mixed with the Melvins. Only now it's the afternoon, and I'm battling 3 other luddites over the remaining few dinosaur copy machines. Still good times, just less resources for us copiers. Not to mention that every time I hang there, they play 'It's a Cruel, Cruel Cruel Summer' which always makes me sad/nostalgic/melancholy.


Which brings me back to Community Print! It's a luddite's paradise. Here's Phase Two of the Devon Williams letterpress poster; today I'll go back in and do a third color around the edges. Full report to be filed tomorrow.